Best Sushi Knife Buying Guide ~ Top 5 Selections By Expert
Making sushi is an intricate process with many steps; cutting the fish, the vegetables and then, in the end, the roll itself. The best sushi knife has a multi-faceted design that enables it to cut through the fish and vegetables as well as cut a neat and clean sushi roll.
A sushi knife is usually made from high-carbon steel rather than stainless steel giving it better quality, longer lasting durability and a more lightweight feel.
Best Sushi Knife in 2019 – Our 3 Favorites
The Yoshihiro Shiroko Handle Sushi Chef’s Knife
The best knife for cutting sushi in general;
The Yoshihiro Shirokov is one of the top rated sushi knives because of its exquisite high quality and long lasting durability.
The extra-thin blade can make the finest cuts for the best sashimi rolls in town!
JapanBargain S-1553, Japanese Yanagiba Sashimi Sushi Knife
Known as the best knife for cutting sushi rolls;
The Japan Yanagiba is a sashimi knife made specifically for cutting and slicing through raw fish and seafood. This is an excellent choice for cutting sushi rolls as well.
Kitchen + Home Non-Stick Sushi Knife – Non-Stick Multipurpose Chef Knife
The Best Cheap Sushi Knife;
This is a multipurpose kitchen knife for the preparation of professional cuisine including sushi.
A sharp, high-quality blade with a non-stick coating ensures easy and precise cutting.
This sashimi knife will last you very long and cost you very little if taken care of well enough.
How To Choose a Sashimi Knife?
Do you want to make sushi like the professionals? Well then choosing the right tools for the job is absolutely vital. Make sure that you choose the sashimi knife available that is suited to your specific needs.
Below are a few characteristics of a good sushi knife to keep in mind;
A Sharp Blade
Make sure that the blade of the sushi knife is very sharp the difference between a good sushi knife and the best one lies in the sharpness of the blade.
The length of the blade needs to be long enough to enable you to make one single pass when you fillet the fish.
The knife needs to be ground on one edge if you want to make more square cuts against the piece of fish that you are cutting.
A Smooth Blade Edge
Make sure to stay away from a serrated edged blade when making sushi as you will not get the smooth and precise cuts that you are looking for in your sushi rolls.
Benefits of using a High-Quality Functional Sushi Knife
There are quite a few benefits to using the best sashimi knife;
➡ A Non-Stick Aerated Blade
- Most blades are Non-Stick which helps to keep the warm rice from sticking to the blade.
- An aerated blade is more lightweight and creates air pockets which also prevents sushi from sticking to the blade.
- The long and slender shape of the blade cuts through fish and sushi with the least resistance and more precision.
- The aerated blade is also said to improve balance and control.
➡ Dishwasher Safe and Rust Resistant
- The blade will not stain or rust meaning there is no rust to contaminate your food.
- Easy to wash and keep clean as the sushi knife is usually dishwasher
- The sashimi knife does not need to be scrubbed and cleans very easily.
- Stain and rust-resistant so you don’t have to worry about your food becoming contaminated.
- It is to be advised though to dry off your blade to keep it in tip-top
➡ Quality High Carbon Steel Construction
- The carbon steel used to make the blade of a sushi knife is incredibly strong and the knife will hold its edge for a very long time.
- The blade will stay sharp and not need sharpening very often if used for the appropriate functions.
- The High Carbon Steel construction also ensures exceptional balance and control.
➡ A Lightweight and Comfortable Handle
- In general, a sashimi knife has a very lightweight handle making it easier to use.
- The handle has a comfortable shape to prevent hand fatigue and provide more comfortable cutting.
- Along with a lightweight handle, a thin aerated blade can give you a very lightweight Sushi knife in general which is quite desirable.
Six Best Sushi Knife Reviewed Below Extensively:
Here are the best-rated Sushi Knives that you will find;
1. Kitchen + Home Non-Stick Sushi Knife – Non-Stick Multipurpose Chef Knife
One of the cheapest options in Sushi Knives that you will find without compromising on quality. This superior quality sushi knife has a non-stick coating and aerated blade that is superbly sharp and durable.A lightweight non-stick sushi knife that will last and impress.
- The blade is very sharp and retains its edge for a very long time.
- The non-stick coating and aeration holes on the blade ensure that no food sticks to the blade and the blade is more lightweight.
- Easy to clean and will not wear out soon.
- The blade may separate from the handle with prolonged use.
- The tang is very slim.
- Not the best quality, but great quality relative to price.
2. Japanese Yanagiba Sashimi Sushi Knife
The JapaneseYanagiba is one of the best available sashimi knives on the market. It has a razor sharp rust-resistant blade and comfortable wooden handle that is lightweight and easy to use. The blade on this knife will not let you down it is razor sharp and long-lasting.
- A lightweight plastic bolster.
- The blade is extremely sharp and rust resistant.
- Easy to sharpen the blade with a whetstone that is damp.
- A wooden handle for more comfortable use.
- Will deteriorate with the use of strong abrasives to clean.
- The second level on the knife is way too big for a sashimi knife.
3. Yoshihiro Shiroko High Carbon Steel Kasumi YanagiShitan Handle Sushi Sashimi Chef Knife
The Yoshihiro Shirokois made from High Carbon Steel with an elegant design and comfortable handle. The perfect sushi knife for beginner chefs.A classic looking and stylish sushi knife for the fine diner.
- Extremely sharp and can glide through any type of fish with ease.
- A Rosewood Japanese D-Shaped handles and Shitanbolsters for the most lightweight and well-balanced
- Comes with a magnolia wood knife sheath, knife oil and a rust eraser in the package.
- Easy to sharpen with a whetstone.
- The blade tends to rust.
- The blade chips after a while.
4. Yoshihiro VG10 16 Layers Hammered Damascus Gyuto Japanese Chefs Knife
Looking for a versatile chef’s knife that can also serve as a sushi knife? Look no further as you will find no better than the Yoshihiro Gyuto Japanese Chef’s knife. Besides versatility, this knife is of great quality and will last you very long.
- Very versatile can slice, dice and cut almost anything.
- The three-layer construction with stainless steel center core ensures excellent sharpness and edge retention along with long-lasting durability.
- The wooden handle ensures exceptional balance and effortless
- The blade eliminates friction and will prevent food from sticking to it.
- Can not be washed in the dishwasher.
- You may find that the bolster will note is fully integrated with the blade.
- The blade breaks easily.
5. Shun Pro 10-1/2-Inch Yanagiba Knife
The Shun Pro Yanagiba Knife has a single edge for creating the thinnest possible slices to perfection. The PremiumPakkawood handle has the classic D-shape for easy handling and fits comfortably into the curves of your palm. A comfortable to use and precise sushi knife for professionally cut sushi.
- The single edged blade can slice thinner slices for sashimi.
- The VG-10 super steel used to make this knife holds its edge longer.
- Pakkawood handles that are comfortable and more secure to grip.
- Dishwasher safe, but with the recommendation that the blade is dried off after washing.
- The thin blade tends to bend easily.
6. Japanese Yanagiba Sashimi Sushi Knife
Another affordable option, the JapanBargainYanagiba Sashimi Knife is a good quality knife that can slice through fish, seafood, and vegetables as well as still create a neatly sliced sushi roll. You can trust this sushi knife for the best quality and functionality.
- Very affordable and still great quality.
- Versatile, it can slice through fish, vegetables, and seafood.
- The steel blade is rust-resistant.
- The wooden handle is comfortable to use and the plastic bolster offers excellent control.
- Easy to sharpen and becomes non-stick when you wet the blade a little.
- The secondary bevel is too
- The blade is a bit flimsy and not very straight.
Become a sushi chef with the help of one of these best sushi knife each with their own unique features and characteristics.
Good quality and long-lasting durability along with fine craftsmanship are what we offer you in this exquisite selection of best sushi knives.