Best Boning Knife Reviews in 2018 ►Picked Top 5 for you
Boning is a major step in food preparation but finding the best boning knife is not as easy as it sounds.A boning knife is a specialized knife used to remove bones from meat, fish or poultry and to fillet meat into small boneless pieces.The best knife for boning should be able to remove bones from fish, meat and other poultry animals with precision and without making a mess.
Table of Contents
- Our Three Favorites Boning Knives (Cherry Picked For You)
- Ten Best Boning Knife Reviews in 2018 Below:
- 1. Wusthof Classic 6-Inch Flexible Boning Knife – Best Boning Knife with Narrow Blade
- 2. Victorinox Swiss Army 6 Inch Fibrox Pro Boning Knife with Flexible Blade – Top Boning Knife with Excellent Design
- 3. Global Cromova G-21 – 6 1/4 inch, 16cm Flexible Boning Knife – Best Boning Knife For Deer
- 4. Wusthof Classic Ikon 5-Inch Boning Knife – Best Knife With Corrosion Resistant Blade
- 5. Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife – Best Boning Fillet Knife
- 6. Victorinox Swiss Army 6 Inch Fibrox Pro Boning Knife with Flexible Blade – Best Victorinox Boning Knife with High-Quality Steel
- 7. Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-Inch Forged Flexible Boning Knife – Best Flexible Boning Knife
- 8. Forschner 6″ Semi Stiff Knife – Yellow Handle – Best Cheap Boning Knife
- 9. J.A. Henckels International Forged Premio 5.5-Inch Boning Knife – Best with a Balanced Handle
- 10. Dexter-Russell (S131F-6PCP) – 6″ Boning Knife – Sani-Safe Series – Best Boning Knife for Resistance to Germs and Bacteria
- So how do you go about choosing the Best Boning Knife for your requirements?
- How to Pick The Best Boning Knife?
- What are the Benefits of Using a Knife Specialized for Boning?
- Final Verdict
Our Three Favorites Boning Knives (Cherry Picked For You)
According to customer reviews and ratings these are the best boning knives that are available today;
Mercer Cutlery is a well-known brand in kitchen knives and the Genesis 6-Inch Forged Boning Knife is one of the most durable and well-engineered knives for boning purposes that you will find.
Do you want your knife to have a bolster? If yes your chosen seller will be able to provide it as this knife has a fixed bolster to keep it strong, durable and well balanced. This knife is NSF certified with a lifetime warranty. The perfect knife for the home chef and also restaurant chefs.
The Wusthof Classic is rated as one of the most flexible boning knives as far as these knives go.The forged high carbon stainless steel blade with its narrow shape I find to be extremely is lightweight, durable and precise.
Not only is this one of the best boning knives we also find it one of the most sought-after choices for a poultry boning knife.Easy to use, affordable and extremely durable, this boning knife can also be washed safely in a dishwasher.To assure you of its superior quality, this knife comes with a lifetime warranty.
With so many positive remarks and such a high rating, the Victorinox with Fibrox handle is surely one of the top choices when it comes to a Boning Knife.This knife has a thin and flexible blade that is able to efficiently and accurately carve the meat from the bones of any animal, it is also the best boning knife for deer and other game.
The Victorinox Boning Knife guarantees you the maximum amount of sharpness and durability even with continuous use.
Ten Best Boning Knife Reviews in 2018 Below:
Here we have the top rated Boning Knives with their reviews that are available on the market;
1. Wusthof Classic 6-Inch Flexible Boning Knife – Best Boning Knife with Narrow Blade
The Wusthof Classic Boning Knife – Best with Narrow Blade is a great boning knife that is easy to sharpen and performs well with any meat but is more suited to poultry and fish.
✓ The blade is narrow and flexible which makes it excellent for boning fish and poultry.
✓ The triple riveted handle ensures strength and performance.
✓ It has an outstanding feel and balance and is sharp straight out of the box.
✓ This knife also comes with a lifetime guarantee.
⛔ Quite an expensive purchase.
⛔ Although the product description says it is dishwasher safe most customers advise hand washing only.
2. Victorinox Swiss Army 6 Inch Fibrox Pro Boning Knife with Flexible Blade – Top Boning Knife with Excellent Design
The Victorinox Boning Knife comes with a Fibrox handle that is ergonomic and prevents slipping during use. The blade length on this boning knife is 6 inches long, and it is made from ice tempered high-carbon stainless steel, which makes it unyielding and sharp than the average boning knife that we tested.
✓ This knife is perfect for use as a fillet knife as well.
✓ A 6 Inch flexible blade which is very sharp and strong.
✓ The Fibrox handle minimizes wrist tension and provides better grip.
✓ An extremely sharp and precise knife.
⛔ A weak grip when used in wet conditions.
⛔ There were some complaints that the blade is too dull to cut certain types of meat and fish.
3. Global Cromova G-21 – 6 1/4 inch, 16cm Flexible Boning Knife – Best Boning Knife For Deer
The Global Cromova G-21 is another premium boning knife that comes close to the Wusthof Classic (reviewed above) regarding functionality and design. This knife has a premium vanadium stainless steel blade of 6 1/4″ length.
✓ Lightweight and well balanced.
✓ A durable and razor sharp blade.
✓ A molded and dimpled stainless steel handle for comfort and a safer grip.
✓ There is a lifetime warranty against defects and breakage.
✓ The blade is six and a half inches long.
⛔ The blade tends to become dull quite easily.
⛔ Not dishwasher safe.
⛔ A bit expensive compared to the Wusthof Classic.
⛔ The handle is not very ergonomic.
4. Wusthof Classic Ikon 5-Inch Boning Knife – Best Knife With Corrosion Resistant Blade
When you desire to spend the least amount of time and effort boning chicken or fish, you need to have the Wusthof Classic Ikon in your arsenal.
Used by culinary experts and chefs, as well as mums and dads. Made from forged stainless steel that can withstand pressure.The blade is quite narrow which gives it the ability to cut through meat with precision.
✓ A great option for trimming fat and sinews or deboning chicken and ham.
✓ The double bolsters ensure heft and balance for less effort when cutting.
✓ The contoured and triple-riveted handle ensures a comfortable and firm grip.
✓ Rust and corrosion resistant.
⛔ It’s not lightweight.
⛔ Designed for deboning, trimming fat and sinews only.
⛔ Dulls quite fast.
⛔ Hand washable only.
5. Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife – Best Boning Fillet Knife
The Shun DM0743 Boning Knife is 6 inches with a layered stainless steel blade.The Shun has a Pakkawood handle which gives it an ergonomic and premium look design. It is quite versatile as it can debone and fillet poultry items with ease.
✓ Made from quality layered stainless steel.
✓ Not vulnerable to corrosion and rusting.
✓ Suitable for filleting and boning jobs.
✓ Has a D-shaped Pakkawood handle that makes it easy to grip.
⛔ Boning with this knife reduces the sharpness of the edges.
⛔ This blade is not suitable for performing intensive tasks.
6. Victorinox Swiss Army 6 Inch Fibrox Pro Boning Knife with Flexible Blade – Best Victorinox Boning Knife with High-Quality Steel
The Victorinox 6 inch boning knife with Fibrox handle is a boning knife with a high-quality blade made from high tempered carbon stainless steel.
The knife is also flexible enough to be used to separate fish and meat with ease and precision without loss of usable meat/fish.
✓ A thin and flexible blade perfect for separating meat from the bone.
✓ Very affordable and comfortable handle that makes it easy to use.
✓ The blade edge is quite resilient able to take a good amount of abuse before needing to be sharpened.
⛔ It doesn’t come sharp out of the box.
7. Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-Inch Forged Flexible Boning Knife – Best Flexible Boning Knife
The first thing you will notice about the Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-Inch Forged Flexible Boning Knife is the premium handle.
It is made from ergonomic Santoprene handle that provides superior comfort for a non-slip grip even with wet hands.
✓ A tapered ground edge on the blade for stability, easy honing and sharpness.
✓ Rust and corrosion resistant.
✓ The Santoprene handle provides superior comfort and non-slip grip during usage.
✓ An exquisite and reliable blade.
✓ It is NSF certified.
⛔ The handle is short.
⛔ It wears off easily.
⛔ A very broad blade.
8. Forschner 6″ Semi Stiff Knife – Yellow Handle – Best Cheap Boning Knife
The Victorinox Forschner Semi Stiff Knife 6″ Semi-Still Knife is made from stamped stainless steel that ensures the blade is sharp and durable.
It is lightweight and quite comfortable to use. Well suited for slicing bone and cartilage as well as slicing around ribs and chops.
✓ Can cut any meat; cooked or raw.
✓ Very affordable.
✓ Stamped blade is razor sharp out of the box.
✓ Can be used to trim briskets as well.
✓ Lightweight and comfortable.
✓ Slip Resistant Handle.
⛔ It doesn’t come with a cover.
⛔ Needs to be sharpened first before use.
9. J.A. Henckels International Forged Premio 5.5-Inch Boning Knife – Best with a Balanced Handle
The J.A. Henckels International Forged Premio 5.5-Inch Boning Knife is a 5.5 inches knife made of a satin finish and stainless steel blade that is suitable for precise cuts.
It’s triple-riveted, and an ergonomic handle ensures full comfort and control during use.
✓ High-quality knife.
✓ Well balanced and ergonomic handle.
✓ The satin finishes stainless steel blade is perfect for cutting, peeling and slicing.
✓ A small but sturdy knife that does not bend under pressure.
⛔ It’s not a flexible blade.
⛔ Uncomfortable and largely shaped knife.
10. Dexter-Russell (S131F-6PCP) – 6″ Boning Knife – Sani-Safe Series – Best Boning Knife for Resistance to Germs and Bacteria
The Dexter-Russell (S131F-6PCP) – 6″ Boning Knife – Sani-Safe Series has a curved 6-inch blade that makes it the perfect knife to use to bone fish.
The handle is a Grip-Tex handle that is textured and suitable for use even in wet conditions.
✓ The blade is curved and flexible making it excellent for boning fish.
✓ The Grip-Tex handle ensures safe grip and is sealed around the blade making it easy to keep clean.
✓ The 6-inch blade is quite strong and sharp.
⛔ The blade is pointed and can get damaged quickly if not used well.
⛔ Not Stainless steel so it may rust.
So how do you go about choosing the Best Boning Knife for your requirements?
We have considered hundreds of reviews in order to create this well-researched resource on the best boning knives for food enthusiasts and professionals alike.
This review on the best boning knives is created to help you make an informed buying decision and to reveal the best knife for boning purposes based on size, handle type, functionality, and ease of use.
How to Pick The Best Boning Knife?
Picking the best boning knife from thousands of products available in stores is never an easy task. However, there are a few factors to consider before choosing the best knife for you;
➡ The Size of the Knife
Most boning knives have a blade size that ranges from 5 to 6.5 inches. These are the standard ones, but we still have some that are longer than 6.5 inches, but those are rarely used.
Every blade has a certain unique functionality. Narrow blades are well suited for beef and game while wider blades are ideal for chicken and poultry.
➡ Blade Type
We have two types of blades as regards to construction – straight and curve. Curve edges are usually not noticeable for a newbie because they are slightly curved.
Different blade designs also mean different areas that they can be used for. Straight blades can be used for lamb but are not suited to de-boning fish; while a curvy blade will work well with deboning fish.
➡ Flexibility of the Knife
Having a flexible boning knife will save you time and effort.
While flexible blades will cut seamlessly through chicken or across fish fillets, stiff knives will give you a hard time when cutting, and I find to be better for boning larger pieces of meat.
➡ Handle of the Knife
Finding the best boning knife for your needs also means knowing what kind of handle you want your knife to have.
Some knives have ergonomic handles like the Victorinox Boning Knife here which has a Fibrox handle that prevents slipping.
Some come with handles of a more premium nature for a comfortable and secure grip like the Shun Knife which uses a D-shaped Pakkawood.
Whichever knife you decide to choose, the handle will decide how comfortably you will be cutting and how precise the cuts will be.
What are the Benefits of Using a Knife Specialized for Boning?
Using a boning knife to remove the bones of fish, poultry, game, beef and many other types of meat offers many advantages that you may not be aware of;
Below are some of the amazing benefits of a good Boning Knife;
→ It saves you time and Effort
- The right boning knife for the meat you intend to cut will make the task much easier and faster.
- The handle provides a comfortable grip and ensures more accurate cutting.
- The sharpness and shape of the blade ensure precise and easy cutting.
→ It is Economical
- Buying meat that is already deboned can be quite expensive.
- When you have the right tools you can debone meat fast and more efficiently without the added cost.
→ You will Get Perfect Steaks and Fillets
- A boning knife will ensure you have the perfect cuts whether it be steaks, fillets or chicken breasts.
- Boning knives cut precise and accurate to give you maximum deboning qualities and a perfect slice of meat or fish.
→ It is Cleaner
- Because you are not hacking away at a piece of meat or fish you have less mess and offcuts and more precise and efficient cutting.
- You will also save on offcuts as you will be able to utilize every piece of meat or fish without having excess waste.
→ Stiff or Flexible Knives
- You have the option of choosing a stiff knife for boning pork, beef and other thick meats that are easier to use and will not bend when force is applied.
- A flexible knife is for thinner and more intricate cuts such as for poultry and fish where you need to cut with more meticulousness.
- A Boning knife comes in these two options making it much more versatile.
→ Different Blade Lengths
- A boning knife comes in various lengths and levels of sharpness for piercing and boning.
- An arched blade is used to cut fish because it maneuvers easily.
As you can see we found many benefits of a Boning Knife.
All in all, it will make boning, meat, fish, poultry, and pork much easier if you use the correct knife for the job, and you will have stunning and clear-cuts of meat.
As you can see we have only chosen the top rated and highest reviewed best boning Knife to make your choice much easier.Each of these knives has exceptional features that are unique to their purpose. Depending on the particular use of the knife there is a perfect Boning Knife for you after all.