Our 4 Best Spyderco Knife Reviews in 2019
More than 30 years of experience, research and development have gone into finding the best steel and handle materials as well as manufacturing methods in order to create a Spyderco Knife.So when you hold a Spyderco knife in your hand you know that you are holding true quality and that it most definitely is the best Spyderco knife.
Spyderco knives are basically pocket knives with an ergonomically designed handle for better grip and a pocket or belt clip for more convenient carrying, although there are also non-foldable Spyderco Knife options available.
Spyderco EDC Knives uses some of the best available steels in the industry along with the proper heat treatment of the blades to manufacture their knives giving you the best knife blade geometry, edge, and bevel.
Best Spyderco Knives in 2018
Here are a few of the best models in the different types of Spyderco Knives;
1. Spyderco Folding Knife
The Spyderco Tenacious is known as one of the top Folding Knife and is one of Spyderco’s most adored Knives in the world.
If you are looking for quality craftsmanship in a respectable and tough knife that is quite affordable, then the Spyderco Tenacious is just right for you.
2. Spyderco Knife for EDC
One of the best Knives for EDC would most certainly be the SpydercoDelica 4 Lightweight.
One of the most favorite choice is well known for its high resistance. This is a knife can be used over and over again for a variety of functions as it is made to be utilitarian.
3. Spyderco Knife for Self Defense
Designed by a famous knife makers Fred Perrin the Spyderco Street Beat is considered one of top Knife for Self Defence.
The Street Beat is a small sheath knife that can be well concealed and provides an excellent fighting grip.
Razor sharp, well balanced and comes with A Bolatronsheath which you can wear with a large variety of clothing types.
4. Spyderco Pocket Knife
This Pocket Knife is by far the best with its-its exceptional ball bearing lock and SpyderHole. This Knife also comes in a heavier or lighter weight model.
Ten Best Quality Spyderco Knife and Their Reviews
Here are some of the top chosen models of Spyderco Knives that are available today;
1. Spyderco Tenacious Plain Edge Knife
The Spyderco Tenacious Plain Edge Knife is known for being one of the toughest Spyderco Knives that holds its edge very well. The stainless blade is leaf-shaped and ground flat from the spine for the best cutting performance.
- Extremely tough and tireless.
- The oversized Spyderco Round Hole and textured spine jimping allow for easy and slip-proof opening.
- A sturdy and durable pocket clip.
- Very large and durable knife.
- Lightweight for its size.
- Corrosion resistant.
- A very large knife that takes up all the space in your pocket.
2. Spyderco Tenacious Folding Knife, G-10 Black Handle
A medium sized Tenacious Folding Knife from Spyderco with an ergonomically designed handle that reduces hand fatigue and a stainless blade with the non-reflective black coating.
- Blade handle designed ergonomically for easy and comfortable grip.
- Non-reflective black coating.
- A four-way pocket clip for a variety of carrying on options.
- The blade opens easily and confidently.
- A durable steel blade that holds its edge very well.
- Pivot screws came over tightened and the blade would not flip open.
3. SpydercoParaMilitary 2 G-10 Plain Edge Knife
The SpydercoParaMilitarygets made from the highest quality materials for the toughest and most durable Spyderco Knife. This knife features a plain edge and CPM-S30V steel used for the blade.
- Tested for the best quality and durability & considered one of the top Spyderco Knife.
- A 14mm round hole for when you have gloves on.
- The clip-point flat ground blade comes modified for the best performance levels.
- A secure and safe nested compression lock.
- There are some inconsistencies in the finer details of the knife.
- Maybe a fake.
4. Spyderco Sage Carbon Fiber Plain Edge Knife
This is a folding knife with the highest quality steel blade and a liner lock system along with a silhouette wire pocket clip.
The edge of this Spyderco Folding Knife is ground flat for precise cutting and the handle is made from twill-woven carbon fiber for better grip capabilities.
- A flat ground plain edge ensures precise cutting.
- The twill-woven carbon fiber handle is easy to grip.
- A safe and secure Liner Lock system.
- A perfect EDC knife because of its light weight.
- The Very sharp blade that holds its edge well.
- The blade stains and catches your fingerprints quite easily.
5. Spyderco Dragonfly Plain Edge Knife
The Spyderco Dragonfly Plain Edge Knife is a light and compact folding knife with a leaf-shaped blade made from premium V10 stainless steel.
Known as the perfect pocket knife, small enough to keep concealed in a pocket and large enough to function as a tough knife it should.
- Made from the finest VG10 stainless steel.
- A full flat grind blade for perfect sharpness and durability.
- Perfect size for the pocket knife and still tough.
- An injection molded fiberglass reinforced nylon handle with Bi-Direction patterns for the best grip you will find.
- The Screw on the blade tends to come loose.
- Beware of counterfeit products, there were some complaints about this.
6. Spyderco Southard Folder G-10 Plain Edge Knife
The Spyderco Southard is a well-engineered folding knife made from the highest quality materials. Easy to fold open and a reliable locking system.
- The steel does not scratch or chip.
- Very well engineered and the materials used are of the finest quality.
- Tested to ensure quality and durability.
- A flipper blade-opening device for easy opening.
- The blade is hollow ground.
- The Reeve integral lock system ensures a secure and safe lock.
- Does not last very long.
- Beware of counterfeit knives make sure you have an original.
- The area where the clip screws onto the flame, are unfinished and do not have the same edge as the frame.
7. Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point Plain Edge Knife
A lightweight hunting knives/camping knife that which is designed by the knife making legend Bill Moran.
The drop point blade makes this the ideal outdoor knife, perfect for all types of chores & considered one of the top quality Spyderco knives for camping.
- A great size but still lightweight.
- Comes with a durable and reliable sheath.
- Can be clipped onto your belt.
- High quality for an affordable price.
- Very sharp VG10 Steel blade that holds its edge very well.
- The handle comes manufactured from injection molded reinforced fiberglass nylon for the best grip.
- The edge starts too far away from the grip.
- Not a full tang.
- The handle is a bit short.
8. Spyderco Street Beat Plain Edge Fixed Knife with 3.49 inch Blade
The Spyderco Street Beat Plain Edge Fixed Knife with 3.49″ Blade has an Injection-molded fiberglass-reinforced nylon handle and blade covered with black ceramic blade coating.
Lightweight with a fixed blade knife and comes with a durable sheath.
- A strong and durable blade that is fixed and lightweight.
- A sturdy and well-made
- The Injection-molded fiberglass-reinforced nylon handle ensures excellent grip.
- Constructed from a strong and durable full-length piece of steel of the finest quality
- Wel balanced and finished off.
- The belt clip is quite awkward.
9. Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Black Blade Knife
This great knife from Spyderco features a G-10 handle that is a bit narrower at the grip position for more slip resistance and a flat ground from spine to cutting edge for more precise cutting.
The two position pocket clip allows for tip-up or tip-down carrying as well as a piped lanyard hole as another carry option.
- Well finished with a diamond-like coating.
- A securely nested compression lock with spine and choiljimping in a screw together construction.
- Easy to use the four-way
- The new Pivot Bushing system makes opening and closing of the blade feel much smoother.
- The blade ensures clean and precise cuts.
- Considered a very useful tactical knife for self-defense
- The coating on the blade stains quite easily and has an oily appearance.
10. Spyderco Endura4 Lightweight FRN Flat Ground PlainEdge Knife
The Spyderco endura 4 is a lightweight knife with a flat ground plain edge.
This knife has exceptional quality blade steel, is a perfect weight, comes extremely sharp out of the box and has a stunning appearance.
- The four-way clip with screw together construction allows for more carry options.
- The FRN Bi-Directional handle has textured detail for better grip capabilities.
- An enlarged opening hole allows for use with gloves.
- A tough and durable spine jimping flat ground blade.
- Deployment of the blade is not very smooth.
What to Look For When Choosing One?
When you are looking for a knife to every day carry with you the Spyderco is just right, you will always find a use for it.
A. The Blade Coating
The blade knives come in either Black Electric Plating which is a non-reflective coating on the knife steel, DLC coating, diamond-like carbon or Titanium Carbonitride coating which is a ceramic film coating providing high abrasion resistance.
B. Blade Grinds
» CENTERLINE GRIND
Resembles a double-edged knife but sharpened only on one side of the blade.
» FALSE EDGE
A secondary edge on the spine of the blade.
» FLAT SABER GRIND
The blade is ground with flat bevels from the center on.
» FULL-FLAT GRIND
blade ground with flat bevels from the spine to the cutting edge.
The blade comes ground with convex radiused bevels.
» HOLLOW GRIND
The blade is ground with levels that have a concave radius extending to the full width of the blade.
» SINGLE-BEVEL GRIND
Also a chisel grind.
The bevel on the spine is unsharpened, considered as a false edge if it was sharpened.
» ZERO GRIND
Similar to a full and flat ground but without a secondary bevel at the cutting edge.
» ZERO SABER GRIND
Similar to the Zero grind but the plane of the bevel carries on creating a cutting edge.
C. Blade Shapes
» ASSIST BLADE
A hollow ground blade that has a blunt tip.
» BOWIE SHAPED BLADE
A primary cutting edge with a more curved belly and clipped point.
» DOUBLE EDGED BLADE
A sharpened primary edge and spine.
» DROP POINT BLADE
The Blades spine has a subtle convex arc to its point.
» HAWKBILL BLADE
The blade is sharpened on the concave side and is curved.
» LEAF SHAPED BLADE
A non-symmetrical spear point shape.
» CLIP POINT BLADE
The ground on the spine and angled.
» SHEEPFOOT BLADE
A blunt rounded tip and straight edge on the blade.
» SPEAR POINT BLADE
An asymmetrical blade that has to curve on the spine and cutting edge.
» WHARNCLIFFE BLADE
The point of the knife tapers down from the spine and meets the cutting edge in a straight line at the tip.
» DEEP POCKET CLIP
Well concealed in your pocket.
» INTEGRAL POCKET CLIP
Molded Clip to form part of the knife handle.
» METAL CLIP
Made of stainless steel or Titanium.
» SHACKLE CLIP
A spring-loaded barrel clip that has a release button.
» WIRE CLIP
This clip is made from formed heat treated wire and attached to a screw or barrel bolt.
E. Handle Materials
» ANODIZED ALUMINUM
» CARBON FIBER
» FRN (FIBERGLASS REINFORCED NYLON)
» BI_DIRECTIONAL TEXTURING
» VOLCANO GRIP
» NATURAL MATERIALS
» PEEL PLY CARBON FIBER
» STAINLESS STEEL
F. Different Locking Mechanisms
» BACK LOCK
A locking mechanism at the back of the handle.
» BALL BEARING LOCK
A more compressive lock that basically wedges the ball bearing between a fixed anvil and the tang of the blade.
» BOLT ACTION LOCK
A spring loaded bolt locking mechanism.
» CHRIS REEVE INTEGRAL LOCK (R.I.L.)
A lock bar developed by Chris Reeve a famous knife maker.
» COMPRESSION LOCK
A lock mechanism with a leaf-like
» FRICTION FOLDER
Non-Locking the blade has a tab or lever from the tang from where it gets folded.
» NOTCH JOINT
Non-Locking the blade is held open by a spring joint.
» SLIP JOINT
A Non-locking mechanism.
» WALKER LINERLOCK
Custom made by Michael Walker.
What Makes a Spyderco Pocket Knife So Special?
The Spyderco knife is well known for its extreme edge holding ability and innovative designs.
The ergonomics on the handle of each knife is also the best in its class.
Here are a few fantastic characteristics that make this Knife so exceptional;
The Best Edge Holding Ability
Manufactured from the finest quality cold steel using manufacturing methods that ensure not only the sharpest blade but also the best edge holding capabilities.
The handles are made from the highest quality materials and are designed to ensure the best and most comfortable grip.
The Locking Mechanisms.
Different locking mechanisms to choose from that give you 100% safety and surety that the blade will stay closed.
Locking mechanisms also allow for easy opening of the blade.
Wrapping It Up
Spyderco does an exorbitant amount of research and development before deploying a new model of Spyderco Knife and relies very much on customer reviews and ratings.
Best Spyderco Knife is designed to deliver the optimum levels of performance with the best steels used for the blades and well-designed handles and folding and locking mechanisms to ensure a safe and easy to use a knife.
The Spyderco Sage Carbon Fiber Plain Edge Knife is one of the best EDC knives and stays extremely sharp holding its edge very well. The Spyderco Dragonfly Plain Edge Knife with its VG-10 steel blade is one of the best pocket knives with a great handle for better grip.
Lastly the Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point Plain Edge Knife, Black, which is designed by knife making icon Bill Moran, is a versatile knife that can is excellent to be used in almost any situation, an ideal option for hunting and camping.