Best Camping Knife in 2017 (Your Ultimate Survival Guide Right Now)
The term “Camping Knife” basically refers to either a pocket knife, Swiss army knife, big and heavy knife, or any other type of knife used for activities that have to do with camping and survival.Therefore the best camping knife solely depends on the exact purpose it is to be used for, whether as an all-purpose tool, for fishing, first aid, and protection or just for preparing food.
If you have tried out a range of different types of knives to find the best camping knife, to no avail then look no further we have narrowed down the search for you.
What is the best camping knife?
There are many knives to choose from in the search for the perfect camping knife which entirely depends on the purpose of the knife.
Here are a few options to consider;
Assist opening/Switch Blade knives
This knife can be any size or shape and has the main function of flipping open with manual initiation. This knife is excellent for protection when you need it fast.
The Bowie Knife
A large sheath knife with a crossguard, sheath carry that you can clip on and use for outdoor adventures.
The Clip Folder
A knife that folds closed and has an added clip on the handle for easy attachment to your belt or pocket. Easy to carry with you for everyday use.
The dagger is basically a double-edged knife with a central spine and a full length. One of your best protection knives for the wild outdoors.
The machete has a long and heavy blade. Ts knife is perfect for chopping through thick vegetation in the bush.
A Multi-tool Knife
This is a self-contained tool that has a small knife, pliers, drivers, files, bottle openers and much more necessities for a camping trip or everyday survival.
The Pocket Knife
similar to the Multi-Tool a pocket knife contains a few folding blades along with a few other nifty tools.
The Survival Knife
A fixed blade knife for cutting wood and larger objects to build fires and shelters, as well as for protection against wildlife.
A Swiss Army Knife
Similar to the Pocket knife the Swiss Army knife has many handy implements that fold into the handle. This is one of the most popular and best quality designs in a multi-tool knife.
A Few of Our best Camping Knife 2017 Picks
The Swiss Army Knife
We have chosen the Victorinox Huntsman Red 91mm as the best available Swiss Army knife for camping.
A knife that contains every tool that you may require during a camping trip or even just for everyday use. Fits neatly into your pocket and carries the famous Swiss quality.
This is a user-friendly, multi-functional and great quality knife which we most definitely recommend for every camping trip and even just everyday use.
The Best Camping Survival Knife is no doubt the Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife.
This is a heavy duty field knife with a full tang and hard shell black nylon sheath. Perfect for all camping chores and as a survival and protection knife.
Perfect for many different functions and chores that you may need to perform on a camping trip.
The Pocket knife
Also the best camping knives under 100, the Kershaw Ken Onion Blur Folding Knife with Speed Safe.
The old faithful pocket knife may not be able to perform heavy duty functions such as chopping wood or have multiple tools such as its Swiss counterpart but it is certainly versatile when you need it and convenient to keep close by.
Kershaw manufactures knives that are of the highest quality using the most intensive craftsmanship. This best camping pocket knife will provide you with a lifetime of performance and quality.
What to Consider when Choosing the Best Camping Knife for Yourself
A knife is an essential everyday tool and an absolute necessity for any camping trip. Finding a good and reliable knife can be tricky as an expensive knife does not always ensure quality, there are many options both expensive and cheap you just need to know exactly what to look for.
There are a few brands that stand out when it comes to utility knives but we will look at the top rated models that should be your best choices for camping knives a bit further on.
A. A Fixed or Folding Knife
For more light duty tasks such as preparing food, cutting trims and threads a folding knife would be a good option.
On the other hand, when you are looking to chop through wood and vegetation the more heavy duty fixed blade will come in handy.
B. What Must it be Able to Cut
Cutting through packages and threads, slicing and preparing food, cutting meat, and chopping wood and bushes are all very different activities.
You will need to choose your knife according to the activities you are going to be performing, as different functions put different demands on the blade.
C. How will you use the knife?
The task you will be performing with your camping knife will dictate the shape of the blade.
You will have to choose between three different grinds on the knife, the hollow grind, the flat grind and the convex grind.
D. What kind of steel do I want?
When you have chosen a knife that is the right shape and appropriate to the task it will be performing you will also need to take a look at the kind of steel the blade is made from.
You can choose from high carbon, non-stainless, super steel or stainless steel, the choice once again depends on the task the knife will be performing.
E. What do I want the knife to look like?
Lastly, the appearance and size of the knife should also be considered. Do you want a small folder knife, a Swiss army utility knife, or a large camping hunting knife that you can attach to your belt. Keep in mind convenience and the space you have to keep the knife.
The trick is in knowing exactly for what and how you are going to be using your camping knife. If you have that pegged down then you will easily be able to find the best camping knife for yourself!
So What are the Benefits of Having The Best Knife for Camping?
There just is no camping without a camping knife. You will need the best camping knife for every aspect of your camping trip.
Here are a few essential benefits of a camping knife;
1. Preparing Food
- Whether it’s peeling fruit, cutting through meat or just sharpening a stick to cook marshmallows, in the preparation of food a knife is essential.
- Cleaning the fish you just caught and preparing it for the fire will also come in handy with a sharp camping knife.
- Opening packages are also much easier with a good knife.
- Cutting the line, removing hooks, a good knife is always useful for fishing.
- Some fishing knives such as utility knives come with tools such as pliers and bottle openers which also come in handy for a fishing trip. This one couldn’t be more obvious. A fisherman
3. First Aid
- Removing splinters is easier with a multi-tool camping knife.
- You may have to cut bandages or fashion a tourniquet where you will benefit from a camping knife.
4. Cutting Wood
- It’s easier to Cut wood for a fire with a large camping knife.
- Cutting through thick vegetation for a path, or to make a shelter.
- To slow down a human attacker any knife will come in handy.
- You can protect yourself against wildlife with a good camping knife.
Ten Best Camping Knife Review in 2017 – Reviews Below
Here are some of our top picks in camping knives that have the highest ratings and most positive reviews;
Buck Knives 505rws Knight Pocket Knife
This is a small and versatile knife that is convenient to carry in your pocket and that serves its purpose effectively.
- A small and durable steel blade that is razor sharp.
- Very small and easy to keep in a pocket or handbag.
- Easy to use and lightweight.
- Comes with a Buck Forever warranty to ensure quality.
- A comfortable and classic Rosewood Dymondwood handle with a nickel silver bolster.
- Great for light duty tasks and a small and expedient size.
- Also a good choice for an emergency medical kit.
- The wood panel attached to the two bolsters is not well fitted and feel loose.
Spyderco Tenacious Folding Knife, G-10 Black Handle, Plain Edge, Black Blade – Best Folding Camping Knife
The Spyderco Tenacious is a convenient folding knife of the highest quality that is one of the best options for an all-purpose camping knife.
- Made from the finest quality materials to improve functionality and durability.
- One of the most popular and trusted names in cutlery.
- A comfortable and sturdy handle.
- This product is tested for quality and durability.
- There have been some complaints that customers have received a fake Spyderco knife, so make sure that you order the genuine brand.
Buck 110 Famous Folding Hunter Knife with Genuine Leather Sheath
The Best Camping Knife under 50. Tough, durable and versatile, this is truly a winner for any camping trip.
- A steel clip blade with a very sharp point for more detailed tasks.
- A lock back design that improves strength and safety.
- TheDymondwood handle with brass bolsters is sturdy and comfortable to handle.
- Included in the package is a genuine leather sheath with a snap closure so you can carry the knife on your belt.
- The hinge and lock are said to be gritty and stiff.
- Not well finished off like older models from this brand.
Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife
You can prepare food, even dress a deer with this exceptional Canadian belt knife made from cold steel.
- A thick and durable blade.
- The handle is made from high impact polypropylene.
- A spear point blade for more versatile use.
- A great knife to dress deer and other game.
- Good quality for its price.
- Not suitable for heavy cutting.
- The handle is small and slippery.
Benchmade – Griptilian 551, Plain Drop-Point, Coated Finish
The BenchmadeGriptillian with its coated finish and drop-point style blade is lightweight and durable making it the perfect knife for camping and the outdoors & considered one of the best ultra light camping knife we reviewed in this post!
- Very lightweight because of the drop-point style blade.
- Made from long lasting and durable materials such as Glass Filled Nylon and stainless steel.
- It has an innovative Axis mechanism for more durable and convenient use.
- A very strong and versatile knife.
- The handles are not of the best quality.
- Not the best value for money.
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife, American Flag,58mm
By far the best camping multi tool knife for camping survival. The VictorinoxSwiss Army pocket knife is all you will need for a camping trip as it contains all the tools and equipment in one multi tool.
- This knife includes a blade, a file, screwdriver, scissor, key ring, tweezer and a toothpick.
- You can fit it comfortably in your pocket or on any key ring.
- Great craftsmanship and quality as with any Swiss knife.
- A trendy and fashionable American Flag design.
- The perfect option as a gift.
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- A very small knife.
- Not exactly as advertised.
Fallkniven F1, Thermorun Handle, Plain, Zytel Sheath
A flawlessly crafted knife, the FallKniven with Thermorun handle and sheath is a true trooper when it comes to camping knives. A medium sized knife for many different tasks with an extremely sharp blade.
- Very sharp and symmetrical blades.
- A convenient and easy to handle size.
- Comes with a functional Zytel sheath.
- Laminated VG-10 steel used in the blade.
- Lightweight and easy to handle with its convenient medium size and shape.
- Cheaply made retaining strap and nylon
- Some have reported chipping, rusting and pitting of the blade.
Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife with Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade, 4.1-Inch
Definitely the best cheap camping knife. Made from stainless steel with a patterned high-friction grip, you cannot go wrong with the Morakniv Companion as an outdoor or camping knife.
- The fixed blade is manufactured from hardened Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel for versatility and strength.
- Comfortable and easy to hold with the patterned high-friction grip handle.
- Comes with a colour matching sheath and belt clip for convenience.
- Affordable price for excellent quality and craftsmanship.
- Quality ensured with the limited lifetime manufacturer’s
- Some of the knives received seemed to be defective and chipped.
- Not very sharp.
Opinel Carbon Blade No8 Folding Knife
The Opinel Carbon Blade Folding Knife is a convenient and safe knife for camping that performs many functions. Very sturdy and comfortable to handle.
- A tough and durable carbon steel blade.
- The hardwood handle is comfortable and easy to handle.
- Safe to use with the stainless steel locking collar.
- The locking collar also prevents accidental opening.
- A simple and sturdy design for maximum utility. Buck 110 Famous Folding Hunter Knife with Genuine Leather Sheath.
- The convenience of a folding knife for easy storage and safe keeping
- The blade will rust quickly if not taken care of well.
- Carbon steel is a bit flimsy.
- Has to be kept clean and oiled or it will rust.
BlizeTec Titanium Folding Knife with G10 Handle
The Blize Tec Titanium folding knife is a premium survival tool for the great outdoors. A convenient pocket size, yet tough and durable with many exceptional functions.
- A sharp 20-degree drop point blade and mini emergency lanyard that comes in a nylon pouch.
- Not too heavy yet still sturdy and small enough to keep in your pocket.
- The handle ensures solid and comfortable grip.
- The blade is partially serrated and the liner lock ensures safe locking of the blade.
- Heat, water, and corrosion resistant.
- Comes with a lifetime value quality insurance.
- Perfect for heavy duty tasks.
- Large and bulky knife.
The BlizeTec Titanium Folding Knife with G10 Handle we will truly add as one of the top rated camping knives, it is a convenient size and a safe and versatile option that can cut through almost anything.
The Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife, American Flag,58mm may not be the toughest knife but it has many very functional and much-needed tools for any camping trip and because of its small size can be kept on a key chain or in a small pocket.
We are ending with the Buck 110 Famous Folding Hunter Knife with Genuine Leather Sheath, a true gem for any hunter, camper or outdoors enthusiast. It is tough, versatile, and sharp, and comes with a durable and great looking sheath.
There is a knife for every task you may find one that is versatile enough for all your camping needs or need two different styles for different tasks. Whatever may be your preference these best camping knives are top branded high quality, functional knives that will stand the test of time.
Did you like this post? I would love to know what do you think about this guide!