Best Fillet Knives in 2018 (Our Top 5 Rated Revealed!)
If you are a fisherman or a hunter, you understand the importance of having the best fillet knife in your gear. A good fillet knife makes it easy for you to separate the flesh from the bones without using more energy or spending a lot of time.
Fillet knives are available in different designs and sizes. Picking the Best Fillet Knives might almost seem impossible especially if you are buying for the first time.
You want to get a durable knife with the sharpest knife blade so that you can enjoy using it and get the best results. To help you get a knife like that, I have researched and tested hundreds of fillet knives on the market. I am going to provide you with the best fillet knives on the market below that are perfect for hunting, ice fishing and even in the kitchen. keep reading….
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Fillet Knife Buyers Guide in 2018 - Comparison
- 22 Best Fillet Knife Reviewed in Details Below –
- 1. Wusthof Grand Prix ll- Best Fisherman And Kitchen Knife
- 2. American Angler Pro Electric Fillet Knife- Best Electric Fillet Knife With 2X Torque
- 3. Bubba Blade 9-Inch Flex Fillet Knife- Best Fillet Knife With Non-Stick Coating That Prevents Rusting
- 4. Rapala Soft Grip Fillet Knife- Designed With The Famous Rapala Stainless Steel Blade
- 5. Kershaw Fillet Knife With Sheath- Affordable Fillet Knife With Sheath
- 6. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Four Star Fillet Knife- Best Fillet Knife With Ice Hardened High Carbon Stainless Steel Blade For Strength
- 7. Havalon Baracuta Edge Folding Fillet Knife-Affordable Fillet Knife With Rugged Military Grade Polymer Handle
- 8. Buck Knives 220 Silver Creek Folding Fillet Fishing Knife- Best Folding Fillet Fishing Knife
- 9. Mora Fishing Comfort Fillet Knife- Best Fillet Knife With A Plastic Sheath
- 10. Gerber Gator Fillet Knife– Pocket-Friendly Best Fillet Knife With Built-In Sharpener
- 11. The Victorinox Swiss Army 6 Inch Fibrox Pro Boning Knife
- 12. Wusthof Gourmet 7-Inch Fish Fillet Knife – Best Fish Fillet Knife
- 13. VICTORINOX cutlery fillet knife
- 14. Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet – Best Boning Fillet Knife
- 15. Global Cromova Flexible Boning & Fillet Knife
- 16. Mercer Culinary Millennia 8-Inch Narrow Fillet Knife
- 17. Knives of Alaska Suregrip Steelheader Knife
- 18. The Wusthof Classic 7 Inch Fillet Knife with Sheath leather belt
- 19. Sog Bladelight Fillet Seven and Half inch Knife
- 20. Dexter Wide Fillet Knife – Best Fillet Knife For Salmon
- 21. Rapala Seven An Half Inch Fish’n Fillet Knife
- 22. Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife
- How To Choose The Best Fillet Knife?
- Why Should You Use An Electric Fillet Knife?
- Final Words
Top 5 Best Fillet Knife Buyers Guide in 2018 - Comparison
ZWILLING J.A. Henckels
22 Best Fillet Knife Reviewed in Details Below –
I know you have taken fillets either at home or in a restaurant. Have you ever wondered how the boneless meat is achieved for making steaks, minced meat much more?
A fillet knife can be used to prepare meat, fish or chicken. Fillet knives are strong, long and very flexible when it comes to slicing through meat and bones. This types of knife are designed with a thin blade as compared to other ordinary knives so that it is easy to cut the meat evenly in the difficult parts of the bone.
Although the filleting knives are primarily designed to fillet meat, you can also use them in the kitchen to cut different types of meat.
There are several filleting knives available in the market. It is necessary to compare the different knives available in the market so that you can decide on the best fillet knife to choose. We have taken the initiative to review separate fillet as well as fixed blade knives in the market to do the work of picking the best knife easy for you.
1. Wusthof Grand Prix ll- Best Fisherman And Kitchen Knife
Are you a fisherman looking for the best fillet knives to take with you on the lake? Then get the Wusthof Grand Prix Ll and you will use this high-quality knife.
Wusthof Grand Prix ll is designed by fishing experts who know exactly what a fisherman wants in a fishing knife. Apart from using it on the lake, the knife comes with a leather sheath so you can use it in the kitchen.The handle of the knife has a bright red color, so you are not worried about losing your knife. You can easily locate it in case you drop it along the lakeside in the course of your fishing trip.
Wusthof fillet knife features a steel construction that makes is strong and able to hold its edge for a long time. Even when you are using it in the kitchen, you can always expect a high performance and durability.
- This is the best fillet knife for fish
- It feels very solid
- It comes with a leather sheath
- The handle gives comfort when using the knife
- Designed with high-quality materials
- A little bit expensive
2. American Angler Pro Electric Fillet Knife- Best Electric Fillet Knife With 2X Torque
Every angler wants to own the top electric fillet knife on the market that not only offers durability but also provides more power and more torque. Getting such a knife with all those aspects can be daunting. However, with American Angler, you can get any fish fillet knife that you need as an angler.
This Electric Fillet Knife beats many electric knives on the market. Many anglers love its powerful gear and motor system that provides up to 2X torque as compared to other ordinary fishing knives.
With the knife that offers up to 110-volt power, you can achieve a smooth and consistent filleting all the time.
The handle of the knife is perfectly designed to ensure that you do not end up getting fatigued even when you are using it for a long time.
The knife also comes with a carrying bag with proper ventilation to ensure no odour or corrosion build-up takes place.
- It has more power
- Offers smooth and consistent filleting results
- The knife has an ergonomic handle
- Comes with 2-year limited warranty
- It is easy to use
- It gets hot quickly
- The price is high
3. Bubba Blade 9-Inch Flex Fillet Knife- Best Fillet Knife With Non-Stick Coating That Prevents Rusting
As a fisherman, a fillet knife is one important thing that you should always ensure you have in your gear. Whether you want to fillet small fish or large fish like tuna, the Bubba Blade 9-Inch Flex Fillet Knife is a perfect knife that can handle any fish size.
This bubba blade knife is designed with a no-slip grip handle that gives you effective control when you are cutting. Additionally, the knife also has thumb and finger pads that also add control.
The knife is designed for use outdoors so you might be worried about rust. The good thing is that it has a non-stick coating that prevents rusting. This coating also provides effortless cutting because the meat just slides off the blade.
- Very strong and stable
- Comes with a sheath
- It has a comfortable handle
- Has a non-stick surface to prevent rusting
- Considered one of best fillet knife for saltwater fish
- It doesn’t stay sharp for long
4. Rapala Soft Grip Fillet Knife- Designed With The Famous Rapala Stainless Steel Blade
Have you been using the wrong knife to fillet fish? Upgrade your current knife with the Rapala Soft Grip Fillet Knife, and you will enjoy the whole filleting experience.
This is a nice fillet knife with a flexible stainless steel blade designed to deliver the best performance. The knife also features a soft-grip molded textured handle to allow you to get a nice grip as well as effective control when you are filleting. There is also a nice black sheath to keep the knife safe on your belt when you are on the go.
- It comes with a single stage sharpener
- Provides comfort and control during filleting
- Designed with a quality blade
- Has a black sheath
- Doesn’t hold sharpness for long
- Complaints on quality of the knife
5. Kershaw Fillet Knife With Sheath- Affordable Fillet Knife With Sheath
There are so many best fillet knives on the market today. As a result, it can be a challenging task for any angler to pick the best filleting knife among the many models on the market.
Even if you have tried different knives, it is advisable to have an experience with the Kershaw Fillet Knife. This is a great knife when it comes to quality, performance, and cost. The knife has a nice blade that works well with both large and small fillets. This flexible knife maintains its edge, and the handle is steady and non-slip. It also has a sheath to keep it when it is not in use or when you are on the road.
- Has a nice satin finish
- It has a flexible blade
- The handle is comfortable and non-slip
- Comes with a sheath
- best fillet knife under 100
- Prone to rust
- Not the sharpest knife out there
6. Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Four Star Fillet Knife- Best Fillet Knife With Ice Hardened High Carbon Stainless Steel Blade For Strength
If you want to separate bones from the fish effectively, the better the knife, the better the results. Having a good knife gives you the chance to get more flesh from the bones without sweating it.
Having the best knife like the Zwilling J.A. Henckels can give you a great change in how you do your filleting. The knife has a 7-inch blade that makes it ideal for filleting meat and fish. The blade of the knife is designed from high carbon stainless steel that is ice hardened to provide durability and strength. If you want to achieve easy cleaning, you can just put the knife in a dishwasher for effortless cleaning.
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Perfect for filleting fish and meat
- The knife is dishwasher safe
- Has a sturdy and comfortable handle
- The knife is durable
- No negative reviews about the knife
7. Havalon Baracuta Edge Folding Fillet Knife-Affordable Fillet Knife With Rugged Military Grade Polymer Handle
Looking for a reasonably priced fillet knives that deliver an exemplary performance when separating flesh from the bones? Then try the Havalon Baracuta Edge Folding Fillet Knife.
Havalon Baracuta Edge Folding Fillet Knife is a nice choice for hunter and anglers who want to get the best fillet knives without spending a lot of money. This knife is designed with a top-notch surgically sharp fillet blade that makes it great for filleting game meat and fish. This fillet knife also has a nice edge, and it is very comfortable to use.
- Handle provides a comfortable grip
- The knife has a nice edge
- Perfect for game meat and fish filleting
- Designed with a quality sharp blade
- The knife has a very sharp edge
8. Buck Knives 220 Silver Creek Folding Fillet Fishing Knife- Best Folding Fillet Fishing Knife
When you are outdoors either hunting or fishing, you need to have a knife that is very easy to carry without hurting yourself. In this case, getting a folding knife is the best option.
The Buck Knives 220 Silver Creek Folding Fillet Fishing Knife is one amazing model that will help you separate flesh from the bones. This knife is designed with a high-quality stainless steel blade with titanium coating hence making it corrosion resistant. The knife is easy to fold into a compact size, so it will be very convenient to carry it when going on a fishing trip of hunting. The handle of the knife is rubberized and provides anti-slip grip hence giving you effective control of the knife.
- The knife has a Lanyard hole
- It has a perfect grip
- Folds easily into a compact size
- Durable blade
- Not flexible enough for filleting small fish
9. Mora Fishing Comfort Fillet Knife- Best Fillet Knife With A Plastic Sheath
Fish filleting has never been this easy with the Mora Fishing Comfort Fillet Knife. The knife has a nice blade length of 5.9 inches that gets through both big and small fish well when filleting.
The blade of this knife is designed with cold-rolled stainless steel that not only provides it with strength but also durability. For comfort and ease of use, the knife has a patented high-friction grip handle that allows you to be in control always. This knife also comes with a protective plastic sheath that is easy to maintain clean.
- It has a comfortable handle
- Durable blade
- Easy to clean plastic sheath
- Knife is very sharp
- best fillet knife under 50
- No critical reviews from customers who have used this knife
10. Gerber Gator Fillet Knife– Pocket-Friendly Best Fillet Knife With Built-In Sharpener
Gerber is a recognized company when it comes to the production of quality knives and tools that meet the specific needs of the user. If you are an angler or a hunter, you will appreciate having the Gerber Gator Fillet Knife. The knife is designed with a built-in sharpener so you can be sure of keeping it sharp wherever you are. Even when you want to do your filleting along the lakeside, this knife will help you get the best results.
The knife has a full tang stainless steel blade. The blade is strong and very flexible to meet your filleting needs. The handle of the knife is also very comfortable to hold. It brags about the Gerber’s patented Gator handle that gives you a nice feeling when you are using the knife in both wet and dry conditions.
- The blade works well in separating the flesh from the bones
- It has a nice grip handle
- Comes with a carrying case
- Has a built-in sharpener
- Hard-molded sheath
- Doesn’t come very sharp, so you need to sharpen it before use
11. The Victorinox Swiss Army 6 Inch Fibrox Pro Boning Knife
This knife also known as Victorinox cutlery Knives consider among one of the best in the market! If you are a looking for the best knife, then you will be on the right track if you decide to go for Victorinox Swiss army knives. Some of the great features include fibrox handles and expert craft to make it stand out. Apart from Wusthof gourmet 7 inch fish fillet knife, this is a top choice for the fillet knife lovers.
- Thin blade and enhanced flexibility
- Superior control
- Fibrox Pro handle
- High carbon stainless steel blade
12. Wusthof Gourmet 7-Inch Fish Fillet Knife – Best Fish Fillet Knife
If you are looking for professional chefs knives, then you need to check out the Wusthof Gourmet 7-Inch Fish Fillet Knife. It is professionally crafted to make it stand out. The Germany technology assures users value for their money.
- Blade 7-Inch overall 11-Inch
- Leather belt loop sheath
- High Carbon German steel that cuts anything smoothly & resists any stains.
- Black riveted handle hence an issue for those who dislike the color.
13. VICTORINOX cutlery fillet knife
The Victorinox cutlery is a knife on Amazon which you can buy and enjoy value for the money. If you compare different boning knives, you will discover this knife scores much better compare to others. The high carbon steel ensures you have a sharp knife for you to cut with precision.
- High carbon stainless steel blade
- Can be sharpened over and over
- Very durable
- Ergonomically designed handle
- Flexible edge for cutting raw meat and slicing salmon
- Polypropylene handle unsuitable for those seeking wooden handle
14. Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet – Best Boning Fillet Knife
The professional chef knives can work well for you if you are looking for the best boning knives. Japanese are known to make high-quality knives. Shun is crafted in Japan with high precision. With 33 layers of stainless steel, you are assured of excellent design & flexibility. It is rustproof hence it will serve you for long without any worry of deterioration.
- Japanese Gokujo knife for boning and filleting fish
- 33 layers of the stainless steel blade
- Rust free Damascus look
- Comfortable D-shaped Packwood handle
- recommended to wash only by hand
15. Global Cromova Flexible Boning & Fillet Knife
If you are looking for a knife with a lifetime warranty on breakage and defects, then I bet you will like this knife! It is lightweight and precisely balanced to offer you great flexibility. Edges are made to retain razor sharpness at all times. If you need a filleting knife with a great balance & comforts, Global Cromova is the one for you!
- Precisely balanced
- Made of high-tech molybdenum/vanadium stainless steel
- Longer bladed Boning Knife.
- Edge retains razor sharpness exceptionally.
- Handle molded for comfort
- Dimpled for safe grip
- Lifetime warranty against defects and breakage
- Hand wash only
16. Mercer Culinary Millennia 8-Inch Narrow Fillet Knife
The mercer culinary filleting knife assures you excellent handling. With the Narrow Fillet Knife, you are confident as a chef. The chef’s knives assure professional chefs great comfort when working in kitchens preparing fillets.
- Ergonomic handle
- Textured finger points for slip resistance
- Protective finger guard
- Highest quality Japanese steel
- Stain-free Japanese steel
- Limited lifetime warranty
17. Knives of Alaska Suregrip Steelheader Knife
knives of Alaska have several features which make it a great fillet knife you can buy. It comes with a combo of bush camp knife among other items you need.
- Handles are Full Tang, Black Suregrip
- Vegetable tanned sheath
- Double draw heat temper
- Cryogenic “Deep Freeze” treatment knife
- Lifetime warranty
- Made in the USA
- Black handle
18. The Wusthof Classic 7 Inch Fillet Knife with Sheath leather belt
With Wusthof classic 7inch fillet knife, you enjoy a flexible design that allows you to accomplish different tasks with this knife without fear of breakage. It is a perfect knife for deboning, filleting and skinning fish. If you love to fish, you can’t regret buying the knife.
- Precision-forged of high-carbon steel
- Stain-resistant alloy
- Precise tapering
- Synthetic traditional-style handles
- Made in Germany- Those looking for the USA made can have an issue
19. Sog Bladelight Fillet Seven and Half inch Knife
You can buy sog blade light fillet knife for you to enjoy quality cuts. The glass reinforced nylon handle provides the perfect grip while working in your kitchen. If you are trying to clean your catch in low light, you enjoy a solid grip and smooth operation or enhanced safety.
- 20 LEDs molded into the handle
- Lights burn just over two hours with one AAA battery.
- Straight edge
- 7.5-inch steel fixed blade
- Quicker and deeper puncture upon insertion
- Sharpens easily
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Satin finish
20. Dexter Wide Fillet Knife – Best Fillet Knife For Salmon
Are you looking for the a fillet knife for salmon? Dexter considered one of the best salmon fillet knife you can buy to enjoy the best operation while carving salmon. The Sani safe handle, material choice and NSF certification make the knife stand out from the rest.
- High Carbon and Alloy
- Stain-free DEXSTEEL
- Sani-Safe handle
- Ultra sharp blade for easy filleting
- Made in the USA
21. Rapala Seven An Half Inch Fish’n Fillet Knife
The Rapala fishn fillet knife comes with several features which make it a great addition to your cutlery set. With great design, it is the best fillet knife for fish you can access in the market. With Rapala fishn fillets knife you enjoy doing your work in the kitchen preparing salmon among other fish fillets.
- Full tang Swedish stainless steel blade
- Features birch varnished handle.
- Genuine leather sheath that perfectly fits in your belt
- Single-stage sharpener blade
- Some buyers on Amazon complained not very flexible & the handle design is a bit small for few.Full-tang Swedish stainless steel blade
22. Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife
The Rapala heavy duty is one of the top electric fillet knives you can access in the market. The choice of material makes it stand out from the rest.
- Highest quality material
- Heavy duty electric Fillet knife
- Dishwasher safe reciprocating blades
- Electric, can’t work in the absence of power.
How To Choose The Best Fillet Knife?
Before you indulge in buying any fillet knife, it is important to understand some of the things that make up a good fillet knife. Some of the most important things that you should check include the following-
1. Blade Material And Flexibility
For the best performance, select knives with stainless steel blade. This is a great material used to make fillet knives and comes in different standards. Always select a strong metal that is resistant to corrosion.
The blade of the knife should also be very flexible, and this is dependent on the thickness of the blade. A knife designed with a thicker blade is less flexible as compared to one with a thin blade. If you are dealing with fish with a short length, you need a very flexible knife. On the other hand, if you are handling bigger fish, you need a knife with stronger blades and greater thickness.
2. Blade Size
You should also consider the size of the blade because the knives are not designed the same. Depending on your requirements, you can get the knives in different blade sizes ranging from 4 inches, 6 inches, 7.5 inches and 9.5 inches. Note that the smaller the blade, the more it is flexible.
The handle of the knife should be very comfortable so that you can get a perfect grip when you are filleting. It should provide you with a strong grip such that it is easy to be in control hence avoiding slipping or cutting yourself. You should also determine the material used to make the handle. The most common materials include:
Why Should You Use An Electric Fillet Knife?
Electric fillet knives make your work easy by saving you both time and effort. As compared to other knives, you can take quite some time to familiarize yourself with the knife, but once you master using the electric knife, your filleting works becomes easy.
Does the knife come with a sharpener?
Check presence of a knife cover
Consider the price of the knife
Durability of the knife
Not every knife out there will be perfect for separating the meat from the bone. For the best results, it is important for you to purchase the best fillet knife.I have made your work easier by providing you reviews of the best fillet knives currently available as well as a buying guide. The remaining part is for you to select the most convenient fillet knives that will meet your needs.
The above list forms top filleting knives in the market. You can’t regret picking one of them as your preferred filleting knife.
Good luck with your purchase!