Top Ten Best Bowie Knife Reviews in 2017:Your Ultimate Guide
The Bowie knife had a unique design which is originally meant for self-defense. Though today Bowie knives are being used by hunters, butchers for butchering game as well as for wilderness survival. There are also knife enthusiasts who procure Bowie knives as collector’s items.Blacksmiths handcrafted the first few Bowie knives according to the particular requirements of an individual. Today you can find the Best Bowie Knife in most stores, although some collectors still prefer a custom-made Bowie knife.
The Bowie Knife is a very large and heavy knife that normally comes with a sheath that it was its kept in.
Top 3 Best Bowie Knife Picked By Us in 2017
We have listed a few of the top favorite Bowie Knives that are on the market today;
Gerber Winchester Large Bowie Knife
Gerber is a well-known knife brand popular for their very high-quality knives. One of the Best Bowie Knife models is, of course, the Gerber Winchester which is a large and sturdy knife with a rugged design.
This knife is one of the most versatile Bowie knives that you will find, used for hunting, survival, tactical, outdoor as well as many industrial situations.
Many customers who bought this knife applauded the amazing strength and durability of the blade.
Buck Knives 124 Frontiersman Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath
This is a solid, straight back knife that is designed superiorly with 420HC steel and a gorgeous satin finish. Comfortable to handle, corrosion resistant with excellent edge retention, the Buck Knives Frontiersman is a strong and durable Bowie knife.
Great for camping, hunting, and any other outdoor activity. Truly the best quality Bowie knife as well as the best survival Bowie knife.There were some excellent reviews on the full tang and full handle this knife features as well as the sharpness of the blade.
SCHRADE SCHF45 Leroy Full Tang Bowie
The Schrade SCHF45 Leroy is by far the Best Bowie Knife under $50.An ideal choice for hunters and outdoor enthusiasts because of its extreme durability. You will be able to perform many tasks with the greatest of ease as the blade is extremely sharp and the knife handles really well and easily.
This knife is great value for money, it is a bit on the heavy side which makes it even more perfect for heavy duty tasks.
What is a Bowie Knife Used for
A Bowie knife is a very large and heavy knife In general, but is is also an extremely powerful knife with fantastic cutting ability.
Here are few uses for a Bowie Knife;
The grip on the handle and the length of the blade make it perfect for a kill and the cutting power allows for easy cleaning and skinning.
Combat and Defence
The size of the Bowie knife alone is enough to scare away any attacker. You should take advice though to go through proper training before trying to use this knife as a weapon.
The Bowie knife is useful for creating a shelter as well as hunting food in a survival situation.The Bowie Knife is a multi-functional knife that can cut through almost anything.
Features of the Best Bowie Knives
You may find that there are many variations in the design of the Bowie knife. Before you make a choice on the Best Bowie Knife you will have to identify its exact purpose for use.
Here are a few features to look at when choosing the Best Bowie Knife;
The Material it is Made from
Traditionally Bowie Knives are made from Carbon steel because it is so easy to sharpen and stays sharp for a very long time. Today though you will find Bowie Knives made from stainless steel alloys with other comparable materials, even anodized aluminum.
For a more authentic knife, we would advise that you opt for the carbon steel version.
Size of the Blade
One of the main aspects of a Bowie Knife is it enormous blade, although the function that the knife is intended for will determine the size of the blade.
For preppers and survivalists, a larger blade is recommended as it is better fro chopping wood and clearing weeds and vegetation.
Small blades will allow you a more precise cut and are highly recommended for bushcraft skills, fishing, and skinning or cleaning meat.
Useful Characteristics of a Bowie Knife
There are many great benefits to having a Bowie Knife, particularly if you are a hunter, fisherman, survivalist or outdoors enthusiast, besides these a Bowie Knife is also a great defense tool with properly educated use.
Here are some of the excellent benefits of having the Best Bowie Knife;
Which Bowie Knives Rated as the Best Bowie Knife?
Are you looking for the top rated and Best Bowie Knife? Well look no further, we have researched and listed the top reviewed Bowie Knives that are available today.
Here are the top rated Bowie Knives;
Cold Steel Natchez Bowie 01 Steel Knife
A powerful and uniquely shaped Bowie Knife that is crafted to perfection. This will make an excellent option in Bowie Knives for collectors.
- A unique shape for extra strength.
- Perfectly balanced.
- The extremely sharp edge that retains its sharpness.
- A stunningly crafted design for collectors.
- Sharp out of the box.
- The handle is not the most comfortable design.
- Does not come with a much-required sheath.
Ka-Bar Becker BK9 Combat Bowie Fixed Blade Knife
You cannot go wrong with the Ka-Bar Becker BK9 Combat Bowie Fixed Blade Knife, an ideal choice for combat and field craft chores.
This knife is complemented on its sharpness and for how long it can hold its edge.
- The extremely sharp blade that holds its edge for a very long time.
- Very quick to sharpen when necessary.
- Can be used as a combat and survival knife.
- Chops through wood easily.
- The ergonomic Grivory handle aids in fighting hand fatigue.
- Thoroughly tested for quality and durability…
- The handle is a bit small and uncomfortable.
- The sheath is not of the finest quality.
Timber Rattler Western Outlaw Bowie Knife
The Timber Rattler Western outlaw is the Best Bowie Knife for Survival purposes.
The blade is enormous and very thick giving it great strength and durability which is perfect in survival situations where you need to chop wood and cut through weeds and other vegetation.
- An 113/8 inch blade made from stainless steel with a brass plated guard.
- The blade has a full tang to ensure durability and strength.
- The classic gray hardwood handle is comfortable to use and holds firmly in your hand.
- A genuine leather sheath included in the package.
- The stainless steel blade comes very sharp out of the box.
- Because of the size and thickness of the blade, it is quite difficult to sharpen.
Ontario Spec Plus Marine Raider Bowie
The Ontario Spec Plus Marine Raider is the highest quality and Best Bowie Knife under $100.A very large knife that is the best in its class for its price with some excellent reviews and ratings.
- The handle provides excellent grip and has a hook on the bottom for when you need to choke down on the handle.
- A full tang that improves strength and durability.
- The point of the blade is razor sharp and pierces through almost anything with ease.
- The blade is very thick and durable.
- A long and durable blade.
- The edge of the knife is not very sharp and takes some time to sharpen.
Cold Steel San Mai Trail Master Kraton Handle (Cordura Sheath)
With its broad clip point the blade on the Cold Steel San Mai Trail Master you have much less risk of the blade bending or breaking. The Kraton handle that comes with provides a non-slip and shock absorbing grip.
A well balanced, durable and powerful knife with intricate and precise detail to make it one of the best Bowie Knives.
- The Blade will not bend or break because of the broader clip.
- An extremely sharp point for easy penetration.
- The blade back has a concave false edge honed by hand and speed buffed for superior sharpness.
- A heavy feel for chopping wood and slashing strokes.
- The checkered Kraton handle ensures non-slip, shock absorbing grip.
- A sturdy and fixed double guard.
- A durable and high-quality sheath which is included in the package.
- There have been complaints of opened packaging and the wrong knife received.
- Not as tough according to its price.
Cold Steel Natchez Bowie 01 Steel Knife
Flawlessly balanced; razor sharp blade and the best quality, that is what you will find in the Cold Steel Natchez Bowie Steel.
This beautifully designed knife is a true treasure as well as a multifunctional tool.
- Very well balanced and handles well.
- A comfortable and durable handle.
- A Very sharp point that pierces easily.
- The blade is also razor sharp and retains its edge for very long.
- Very well crafted and a stunning design.
- The updated model is said to be not as good as the original model.
Buck Knives 124 Frontiersman Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath
If you are looking for the Best Quality Bowie knife, then look no further the Buck Knives 124 frontiersman with Fixed blade and leather sheath is right up there.
Buck Knives pride themselves in the excellence and experience that goes into the crafting of each and every one of their superior quality knives. Their knives are all guaranteed with a forever warranty because they believe in the quality and integrity of their products.
- The steel blade with satin finish delivers strength, durability, great edge retention and corrosion resistance.
- The blade is solid and fixed, perfect for outdoors and hunting.
- The black genuine leather sheath is durable and of good quality.
- An extremely sharp blade.
- The handle is not rounded off well and slightly uncomfortable.
- The retaining strap on the sheath is of poor quality.
Gerber Winchester Large Bowie Knife, Brown
The Gerber Winchester is a very large and rugged design of Bowie knife that is both durable and reliable.
The stainless steel blade holds very well and can be used in military, survival, hunting, tactical as well as many other outdoor situations.
- Great versatility and many uses.
- Extremely sharp out of the box.
- The sheath is made from the finest quality Guaita nylon that is very durable.
- A very large knife for heavy duty use.
- Field tested for quality.
- The blade scratches very easily.
- The sheath unthreads easily.
Szco Supplies Carbon Steel Bowie Knife
A very affordable Bowie Knife with the traditional carbon steel blade, wood handle, and a leather sheath.
The handle is comfortable, a full tang and sharp blade that is more suited to light duty use.
- You can choose from a carbon steel or stainless steel version.
- This knife will make a great collectors addition.
- The wood handle is comfortable and grips easily and the full tang ensures better strength.
- Extremely affordable price for what you are getting.
- Heavy and solid as well as quite durable.
- Very straightforward design.
- Comes very dull and takes some time to sharpen.
Schrade SCHF45 Leroy Full Tang Bowie Fixed Blade Knife
For the Best Bowie Knife under $50, look no further the Schrade SCHF45 Leroy Full Tang Bowie Fixed Blade Knife is great quality for the money.
The ideal knife for dressing game, splitting, kindling and even self-defense, a great working knife that you can keep strapped to your hip.
- Great quality for its price.
- A Very sharp edge that holds quite well.
- Stainless steel blade coated with titanium.
- The blade is very long and thick with a full tang for improved power and durability.
- Very comfortable and well balanced despite its heavy weight.
- A plastic sheath is included with many eyelets and slots to add extra gear.
- The handle scales are not well matched to the tang.
- A rivet is missing on the sheath.
The Bowie knife has a very long history and serves many purposes from functional to just collecting, it is a classically styled knife with many uses.There are many variations to the Bowie knife with a large amount of distinct and exquisite designs.The Bowie Knife is known for its intimidating size, sturdy design, and heavy weight.
The Cold Steel San Mai Trail Master Kraton Handle is one of our favorites because of its amicable quality and durability as well as its gorgeous design.
Whereas the Szco Supplies Carbon Steel Bowie Knife is the best value for money that you will get, not meant for extreme heavy duty tasks it is still versatile and durable and the most affordable Bowie Knife.
Lastly, the Schrade SCHF45 Leroy Full Tang Bowie Fixed Blade Knife is also a more affordable knife. It is a gigantic, heavy duty, thick, razor sharp and durable, all the qualities that should be evident in the Best Bowie Knife.
Did you like this post? I would love to know what do you think about this guide!