Best Skinning Knife – Top Models Compared & Reviewed!
When it comes to the best Skinning Knife there is a variety of things that you will need to consider, some skinning Knives will have a straight edge on them while other come with a gut hook.
The main purpose of a Skinning Knife is to take the hide or skin off effectively and animal with the most precision and ease. The Skinning Knife or Skinner is basically just a professional tool used by Skinners.
Most skinning knives have a wide and short blade with a strong edge that is not very flexible. A Skinning Knife is not actually a weapon or Knife per se but rather a hunting or skinning tool.
Top Rated Options in Skinning Knives
We have looked at some of the most popular Skinning Knives available today and come up with a few of the highest rated and most sought after options;
1. The Cold Steel Mini TacKnife
The Cold Steel Mini Tac Knife is known as the Best Deer Skinning Knife.
Similar to a curved knife the blade features a razor-sharp edge that can cut through almost any fur or skin as well as gut through fish. The knife ensures a comfortable and strong grip and is rugged and durable enough even for tough use, so you need not worry about breaking it.
2. CRKT K700KXP Ken Onion Skinner
The CRKT Ken Onion Skinner is well known as all other Columbian River and tool Knives for its sharpness and fine quality construction.
Praised by many buyers this knife is popular for its extremely sharp blade and comfortable handle. Overall the CRKT Ken Onion Skinner is a lightweight and easy to use Skinning Knife.
3. Buck Knives 0691BKG Buck Zipper Fixed Blade Knife with Guthook
Buck Knives Introduces the Best Gut Hook and the Best Fixed Blade Skinning Knife in one, the Buck Zipper. Of all the Skinning Knives featured so far this knife has the best edge retention and is also phenomenally sharp.
A slightly chunky and heavy knife, but still easy to use with a textured rubber handle and brass butt.
The Different Types of Skinning Knives
Trying to find what will be the best type of Skinning Knife for you? Well then read further as here we are going to explain some of the significant differences in Skinning Knives;
» The Stag Handle Skinning Knife
A stag handle skinning knife is used by hunters for skinning animals and has a stag handle and curved blade for comfort and style.
» Victorinox Curved Skinning Knife
The Victorinox Skinning Knife has a curved blade that is sharper and more efficient and is known for its high-quality blades.
» Wood Handle Skinning Knife
A wood handle is much easier to grip and work with making the wood handle Skinning Knife a performance by most skinners.
» What Is A Deer Skinning Knife
The best deer Skinning Knife will feature a handle that provides full grip and-and extremely sharp blade, perfect for skinning deer.
» Handmade Skinning Knives
If you are looking for a unique and one of a kind Skinning Knife then a custom handmade Skinning Knife is perfect for you.
» Skinning Knife Blade Shapes
You have a choice between a;
- clip point blade.
- curved blade.
- tanto point blade.
- drop point blade.
- needle point blade.
- sheep-foot blade.
- spear point blade.
- trailing point blade.
- the gut hook blade.
- fixed point blade.
- replaceable blades.
Each of this blade has unique functions and make for a diverse range of Skinning Knives.
So if you are looking for the best results you can use these recommendations to find the best Skinning Knife for your specific requirements and purposes.
Features of the Best Skinning Knife
Here are some more fantastic features to consider when choosing the Best Skinning Knife;
A. The Design of the Blade
Different types of animals require different skinning techniques, therefore the design of the blade is absolutely critical for the best result. With some animals, you will require only the tip of the blade for the most effective skinning while with others the entire edge of the blade is required.
B. The Blade length
The Blade Length will depend on the size of the animal you are skinning. With smaller animals, a shorter blade cuts easier and more precise, whereas you will need a bigger blade for medium animals and a large blade for larger animals.
C. The Blade Steel
The type of steel from which the blade is manufactured is also critical. When you are skinning an animal you want a blade that retains its edge and stays razor sharp, you also want a blade that’s slightly flexible and not so hard that it becomes brittle or breaks with regular sharpening.
There are two types of steels available, stainless steel and high carbon tool steels, carbon steel tends to be very tough while stainless steel tends to be more corrosion resistant…
1. The Handle
Look for an ergonomically-designed handle that you can hold the edge up or down with ease.
Most hunters and skinners prefer a handle that is aesthetically pleasing rather than tough, such as exotic hardwood handles, bone, horn or even fossil material handles.
2. Fixed Blade or Fold blade
The decision is entirely up to your own personal preference as both these knives are equally good. A folding blade is easier to keep in your pocket while a fixed blade that comes with a sheath which you can clip onto your belt.
Advantages of the Best Available Skinning Knife
Some advantages of having the best Skinning Knife;
A sweeping Blade design
- More comfortable to use.
- Reduces hand fatigue
A Curved Tip
- Prevents you from puncturing the hide.
- Prevents slicing of the meat.
Survival and Outdoor Knife
- Can be used to prepare food and cut meat when camping.
- Can be used as a survival knife for hunting and dressing.
An Added Gut Hook
- Gut open bellies and easily remove intestines.
- Gut fish.
A Carbon Steel Blade
- A softer and more flexible blade.
- Easier to make finer cuts.
- Does not break as easily.
- Can be sharpened more often without chipping.
- The blade is thinner and bends
A List of the Best Skinning Knives
If you want to make short work of gutting and or skinning then it is advised to make sure you have a well maintained and good quality Skinning Knife.
Below are reviewed on some of the customer favorites in Skinning Knives;
Buck Knives 113 Ranger Skinner Hunting Knife with Walnut Handle
This is not only the best quality Skinning Knife but also the best Skinning Knife under $50.
Visually well balanced and well ground with a blade that holds its edge, a wood handle, and brass guard. This Knife also has a lanyard hole and comes with a genuine leather sheath.
- Great value for money.
- Holds its edge very long.
- Well balanced and well ground.
- Very sharp blade.
- Comes with fine quality leather sheath.
- The handle is a bit small.
- The wood handle also does not look the same as picture advertisement and is duller.
Mossberg Fixed Skinning Knife
If you are a hunter or outdoor enthusiast this is the best skinning knife for you, this is an all in one versatile skinning knife with a gut hook.
A flawless knife that is sharp and effective.
- The blade is manufactured from non-glare stainless steel and is hard and durable.
- A well-designed camouflage handle that ensures excellent grip.
- A very affordable knife.
- Included in the package is a Ballistic Sheath.
- Does not come sharp out of the box.
- The blade does not hold its edge very well.
Buck Knives 0103 Skinner Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath
The Buck Knives Skinner with a fixed blade is the USA made the knife with great quality for its price.
Comes sharp out of the box and holds its edge extremely well and works very well.
- Extremely sharp, can cut through almost anything.
- Holds its edge for a very long time.
- You can choose between a normal or wood handle.
- Comes with a durable leather sheath
- The grip on the regular handle becomes slick when it is wet or greasy.
- Not such an attractive design as the older models.
- A gap between the guard and the blade is visible.
Piranta Bolt, 2 3/4 in. #60A Blade
A powerful skinning knife the Piranta Bolt has a stronger and thicker blade with a larger handle for better grip.
This is a versatile knife that can be used outdoors, for hunting and skinning.
- A folding fillet knife with lock construction for safe and easy keeping.
- The thicker and larger blade ensures more strength and durability.
- A larger handle for improved grip.
- The handle has black rubber inserts to prevent slipping.
- Comes with a durable and removable pocket clip.
- The replaceable blades get clogged up when cutting through thick pieces of meat.
Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite Folding Hunting Knife 3-1/2″ Replaceable Stainless Steel Blade Kraton Handle
This folding hunting knife gives you the freedom of always having a sharp blade even if you do not have the time to sharpen the blade. The lock button gives you option of a new sharp blade and folds away the old one for sharpening later on.
The handles are rubberized for better grip and each knife comes with six replacement blades as well as a nylon sheath.
- Six replaceable blades for when you do not have time to sharpen the blade.
- A rubberized handle that prevents slipping for better grip.
- Comes with a durable and functional nylon sheath.
- This knife fits well on any hunting belt.
- The extra blades have been packaged safely.
- Great value for money.
- Hard to get the knife out of the sheath because of the rubber handle.
Columbia River Knife and Tool K700KXP Ken Onion Skinner Fixed Razor Edge Knife
The Onion Skinner from Columbia River has been tested and improved for more than five years to establish the best design of the finest quality.
This knife has been proven on Alaskan bears, deer, elk, moose even antelope and hogs with the finest results so far.
- Excellent for skinning, deboning and making fine cuts.
- The handle has a deep finger Choil that improves grip and prevents slipping.
- A Lanyard and sheath included in the packaging.
- Extremely sharp for fine cuts.
- Bad quality sheath.
- Not the best quality steel.
Bone Collector Hand Made Skinning / Hunting Knife BC807
- A full Tang steel blade that is strong and durable.
- Finely detailed bone is used to make the handle.
- The leather sheath is also hand made.
- Well balanced and razor sharp with good retaining properties on edge.
- Great value for money.
- The sheath is not made from the best quality leather.
HavalonPiranta Z Folding Blade Skinning Knife
The HavalonPiranta Z Folding Blade Skinning Knife is one of the sharpest skinning knives that holds its edge the longest.
It balances perfect control with the easy grip handle and precision cutting with the superior blade. A great option for both skinning and field dressing.
- Extremely sharp
- Great edge retention.
- Plastic handle with rubber panels for better grip.
- A safety liner lock.
- Thumb studs allow for faster one handed opening.
- Not for heavy duty use.
- Cheaply made.
WatchFireGuthook Skinning Knife
The WatchFireGuthook Skinning Knife is has a 9 inch tough and durable stainless steel blade with a black finish and a skid proof handle.
The gut hook blade is an additional extra and it comes with a sheath. The perfect knife for larger game.
- A solid and well-made knife, perfect for the larger
- A comfortable and durable handle.
- The full tang improves the overall strength and durability.
- The handle pins are a stunning mosaic design.
- A discreet leather sheath is also included.
- No drain holes in the leather sheath.
- A slightly heavy knife.
- The fiber inlay has a gap on the bottom right side of the knife.
Buck Knives 401 Kalinga Fixed Blade Knife
The Kalinga from Buck Knives is one of the ultimate favorites of all the Buck Knives.
A top choice for a hunting or skinning knife or even just as a collectible.
- An ergonomically designed handle for a more comfortable grip.
- Excellent strength and edge retention in the steel blade.
- The blade is also corrosion resistant.
- A genuine leather sheath included in the package.
- Comes with the famous Buck forever warranty ensuring great quality.
- One of the highest rated Skinning and Hunting Knives
- Bigger than expected or in the picture.
Buck 110 Famous Folding Hunter Knife with Genuine Leather Sheath
This is a folding hunting and skinning knife that is great for more detailed work because of its sharper point. The lock back design also ensures the maximum amount of strength as well as safety.
You can carry this knife on your belt with the included genuine leather sheath and snap closure.
- A sharper point for finer detail cutting.
- A folding knife with the strength of a fixed blade knife.
- Comes with a genuine leather sheath with a snap closure so that you can carry the belt on your belt.
- One of the number one selling sports knives in the world.
- Very positive ratings.
- The tip breaks easily.
- Much larger than the 110 specified.
From our perspective, the Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite Folding Hunting Knife 3-1/2″ Replaceable Stainless Steel Blade Kraton Handle, is a great option because of its replaceable blades and Kratonhandles that provide excellent grip.
The Bone Collector Hand Made Skinning / Hunting Knife BC807 is a fine handcrafted Skinning Knife that can be used for hunting as well, not only is it a stunning design but also very functional and effective.
To conclude one of the best-rated Skinning and Hunting Knives by far is the Buck Knives 401 Kalinga Fixed Blade Knife, it is a favorite among many customers with no complaints only positive ratings.