Hawaii Knife Laws
Hawaii possesses a straightforward knife law where all kind of double-edged blades and automatic knives are illegal to carry and almost all kind of single-edged blades are legal.
There are restrictions on carrying knives openly or concealed in Hawaii. But the knife-owning laws are friendly here.
Knives that are Illegal to Carry in Hawaii
Automatic knives and double-edged knives are illegal in Hawaii as it is mentioned above.
- Switchblades and gravity knives are illegal in manufacturing, selling, transferring, possessing and transporting in the state. And it will be guilty of a misdemeanor.
- Gravity knives are also in this category and these are also illegal.
Using this sort of knife to threaten anybody or to attempt any crime will be guilty of a class C felony.
This has been mentioned in details in the code 134-52 (2012).
“[134-52] Switchblade knives; prohibitions; penalty (a) Whoever knowingly manufactures, sells, transfers, possesses, or transports in the State any switchblade knife, being any knife having a blade which opens automatically
(1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or (2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.”
“(b) Whoever knowingly possesses or intentionally uses or threatens to use a switchblade knife while engaged in the commission of a crime shall be guilty of a class C felony.”
- Butterfly knives are illegal to manufacture, sell, transfer, possess or transport in this state. And it also shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
- Balisong knives are also in this category.
- Using a butterfly knife to threaten anybody or to attempt any crime will be guilty of a class C felony.These laws are mentioned in the code 134-53 (2012).
[134-53] Butterfly knives; prohibitions; penalty(a) Whoever knowingly manufactures, sells, transfers, possesses, or transports in the State any butterfly knife, being a knife having a blade encased in a split handle that manually unfolds with hand or wrist action with the assistance of inertia, gravity or both, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) Whoever knowingly possesses or intentionally uses or threatens to use a butterfly knife while engaged in the commission of a crime shall be guilty of a class C felony
- Dirks, daggers, and stilettos are illegal to carry outside the house but you may own and keep it inside your house premises.
- Throwing stars, lipstick knives, pen knives, sword canes or belt buckle knives (all sorts of disguised knives) are also illegal to carry outside but are legal to own and keep inside your private premises.
- In a word, all kind of double-edged blades is illegal to carry outside.
Knife Concealed Carry Laws in Hawaii
Carrying concealed any dangerous or deadly weapons/knives such as dirk, dagger, blackjack; metal knuckles, billy etc. are a crime and shall be punished or charged immediately.
And if anyone uses these sorts of deadly weapons to threaten anybody or to harm anybody shall be guilty of a class C felony.
The code 134-51 says about this clearly.
[134-51] Deadly weapons; prohibitions; penalty “(a) Any person, not authorized by law, who carries concealed upon the person’s self or within any vehicle used or occupied by the person or who is found armed with any dirk, dagger, blackjack, slug shot, billy, metal knuckles, pistol, or other deadly or dangerous weapon shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and may be immediately arrested without warrant by any sheriff, police officer, or other officer or person.”
“(b) Whoever knowingly possesses or intentionally uses or threatens to use a deadly or dangerous weapon while engaged in the commission of a crime shall be guilty of a class C felony.”
All sorts of illegal knives in Hawaii are also illegal to carry either open or concealed. But especially, dirk and dagger which are dangerous are also illegal carrying concealed. You have to have a permit to carry these dangerous knives concealed.
Otherwise, any knives that are legal can be carried concealed unless you attempt any crime. If you intend to hurt anyone or do any wrong by any kind of knife though it’s legal to carry open or concealed, this will be a dangerous knife and you will be charged or punished for that.
There are no limitations of blade length for any particular knives in Hawaii. But double-edged blades are illegal in Hawaii.
Any kind of knives is not allowed on the school premises in Hawaii.
Knives that are Legal in Hawaii
Knives without any kind of complicacy are single-edged ones. Such as,
- All sorts of pocket knives
- Bowie knives
- Undetectable knives
On the other hand,
- Dirks, daggers, stilettos, disguised knives, throwing stars etc. are legal to own and can be kept in-house but cannot be carried outside the house. There’s the restriction.
Sum up to the Knife Laws in Hawaii
Double-edged blades like switchblades, butterfly knives are banned in Hawaii. You cannot own these nor even carry or sell/buy these types of knives.
Otherwise, you can own any other knives you want and keep those in your home but you cannot carry outside all of those.
All other single-edged blades are legal to own and carry.